We had an appointment with the doctor this morning, and unfortunately he did not have good news for Drake. It appears that the bone has shifted from Monday, and we are most likely looking at surgery early (Monday/Tuesday) next week. He wanted to wait the weekend and do another x-ray on Monday morning to be sure, but if it looks any worse than today, he is thinking surgery would be scheduled most likely Monday afternoon. He is thinking there is a 75% chance that surgery will happen. It is definitely disappointing news. This is a little graphic, so if you have a weak stomach, you might want to skip this part... but they would basically go in through his skin with pins to pull the bone back together. The pins would stick out of his arm and it would all be wrapped in a splint (similar to what they gave him in the ER). After 3-4 weeks, they would pull the pins out with pliers in the office. I know, it sound so terrible. I could tell the doctor was really disappointed that this looks like the direction Drake's arm is heading. Fortunately, if the bone heals properly from this, we aren't looking at long term problems. But if it doesn't get fixed, he could have long term issues. To be honest, as bad as the pin-pulling sounds, I would rather that than pins buried in his bone the rest of his life. The first time the doctor talked about pins, that's what I originally had in mind. Either way, it is obviously not what we were hoping for. So we are just praying for the 25% chance that his little arm would heal this weekend and he doesn't have to go through all that. I absolutely hated the two times Mia has had to go under for surgery, and I can't even think about Drake having to go through that as well.
On a happier note, Drake has become so attached to his hat and his pacifier (yes, we have lost the pacifier battle since the broken arm. It's all he wants...). He wears his hat and sucks his pacifier ALL day long and even while sleeping. The only time he removes them is when he eats - ha! When I sit him in his highchair, he takes his hat off and his pacifier out. As soon as he's finished eating, the hat goes back on and so does the pacifier. And as soon as he's out of the bath and his hair is dry at night, the hat goes back on and he goes to bed with it. This is what we hear all day - "Dodo...hat. Dodo...hat" (he calls his pacifier a dodo, I have no idea why). Anyways, it's cute and slightly pathetic to see him with his little cast, baseball cap, and pacifier. :) Here are some pics...
A rare moment with his hat in his hand instead of on his head
Mia wanting to be like Drake with the hat...
So sad...
He sets his goods on the counter while lunch is being served...
If anyone knows how to wash a little hat, let me know! I know they make those forms for adult hats, but I don't know about kids. The way this is looking, we will need to be doing some hat washing soon. I am going to need a backup hat for when I'm rotating them through the wash. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment